What We Do to Keep You Safe
Our Gas Control Operations Center continuously monitors the flow of natural gas through our pipelines and any changes in operating conditions. Our employees have the ability to adjust flows and operation pressures, and to shut off natural gas flowing in our larger pipelines.
That ‘Rotten Egg’ Smell
Natural gas is odorless, so as a safety precaution, we add a substance called mercaptan to give natural gas a “rotten egg” smell. This distinctive scent allows you to smell a potential leak if it occurs.
If you smell a natural gas odor:
- Do not use any devices that might create a spark, such as light switches, phones, flashlights or electric appliances, including computers. A spark could ignite the gas.
- Immediately have everyone leave the house.
- Go to a nearby phone and call the Virginia Natural Gas hotline to report the odor.
- Keep everyone away from the building until given the “all clear” from a gas company employee.
- Remember: Never try to find the leak yourself.
To report a gas leak, call 877.572.3342.